Living in Hannover

The city Hannover is a good choice for living in Germany. Find many advices for living in Hannover below.

It is often not easy for students to find affordable accommodation for an extended period of time. Whether you want to live alone, with other students or in a student residence hall, Hannover offers many different types of accommodation for new students. However, finding a place to live in Hannover is not always easy. Sharing a flat with others in cities where there is a shortage of living space is a less expensive alternative to living on your own. The space in the apartment is shared among a number of different tenants. Universities often have student residences in which the rooms are more affordable. It’s advisable to apply for a spot in a student residence as early as possible to increase your chances of getting one. Rooms in student residences cost between € 200 and € 400 a month, shared accommodation between € 300 and € 500 per room and month and a separate apartment for yourself can be had for € 400 a month and upwards.

It’s particularly important to start looking for your accommodation early. Students who are planning a longer stay in Germany, i.e. who cannot be classified as tourists, must contact the city’s Registration Office within two weeks after moving into their new accommodation and register there. To find the office hours of the Registration Office in Hannover, click here. To register at the Registration Office, you must show your passport and a rental contract. The Registration Office will then issue confirmation of your registration, which is important to have if you want to apply for a residence permit or open a bank account.

Here are a few tips on finding accommodation in Hannover:

  1. Studentenwerk Hannover (Student Union): Go here to look for and apply for somewhere to live directly online. If you are looking for an apartment of your own or a room in an apartment to share with others, go to the online “Wohnraumbörse” (Rooms to Rent) operated by the Student Union.
  2. Such platforms as www.studenten-wg.de or www.wg-gesucht.de can help students to find affordable shared living accommodations in downtown Hannover or further outside the city. Anyone can put in their own ad or apply for a spot in shared accommodation that is advertised. The offers are made available free of charge.
  3. Anyone who prefers to live alone and has a more flexible budget can take a look at Immobilienscout to find a wide selection of rental accommodations. Use this portal to directly contact the real estate agents or landlords.

Finding an accomodation with the ISK

The ISK can help you to find a place to live. We work together with a partner, English Romance, to offer accommodations. Starting with a minimum stay of 2 weeks, we can offer you high-quality apartments or rooms in shared apartments with other language students. Please book your room or apartment at least 4 weeks before you plan to arrive in Hannover. All the apartments and rooms are located close to public transportation (about a 5-minute walk to bus or tram stops). Shopping, leisure-time activities and other recreational activities are located close by.

Many banks offer students checking accounts at no charge. To open such an account, you must present: your passport and visa, sometimes a residence permit, the confirmation of registration from the Registration Office, a certificate from the language school and information on enrollment in the university if applicable.

Germans like to cook. They usually enjoy a warm meal every day, either at midday or in the evening, and there are lots of German and international restaurants in the city for you to choose from. Eating sandwiches, known in Germany as “Brotzeit”, is also an old tradition. People often take their lunches or snacks with them to school or work and eat them whenever convenient. Students can get affordable meals in the student cafeteria. There are also many pubs and cafés in Hannover, where people meet in the evenings to eat and drink with family and/or friends.

You can buy food in Germany in supermarkets or at outdoor farmers’ markets or by ordering on the internet. You can go shopping six days a week. Most stores and shops are closed on Sundays. Exception: Pastries and kiosks are open 7 days a week.


Many different doctors work in the German healthcare system. If you should fall ill, a family doctor is the first doctor to contact. Family doctors are general practitioners who will refer you to a specialist if you need one. Most doctors’ offices in Germany are closed at the weekend. If you have an emergency medical situation after hours or at the weekend, you can go to the hospital (Emergency Room) nearest you without an appointment for treatment. Find hospitals and doctors here.


In Germany, you can get medicine and medication in pharmacies. Most medication is available by prescription only. You can get prescriptions from a doctor after you have been examined and the proper medication has been determined. Some medication is also available prescription-free. Many pharmacies are closed at the weekend and on holidays, but there is always one in your local area that is open after hours. Go to www.aponet.de to find out which pharmacy close to you is open at any particular time. Herbal medicines can be purchased in pharmacies or in drugstores.

Medical insurance

It is necessary to have medical insurance in Germany. German citizens can be covered by the statutory health insurance system or by a private health insurance. Medical insurance covers the costs incurred in part or in full for therapies in the event of illness, the birth of a child and after accidents. Every insured person must pay a monthly fee for the insurance. We recommend that you find out about your options for health insurance early. We are happy to advise you and work together in this with our partner, Care Concept.

Emergency service numbers

In Germany, there are emergency services that are available around the clock during the week, at weekends and on holidays. If you should have a medical emergency, dial 112. Call 112 to report medical emergencies or reach the fire department. If you want to contact the police, dial 110.

There is a transport association in the region of Hannover, Großraum-Verkehr Hannover (GVH), which is responsible for busses, trams and local train service. This association includes the üstra city tram lines, the urban railway and regional trains as well as the bus network operated by üstra and Regiobus.

The EFA – Electronic Information Schedule provides all the information you need to travel by local trains, trams or busses. This information is available for all of Lower Saxony and Bremen.

You can use the GVH app to book tickets on your smartphone from anywhere. Tickets for public transportation can also be purchased at the ticket machines on any train platform or in the bus. Look for student prices and/or group tickets. They are often less expensive.